SESAME SEED GOMASHIO/ GOMASIO
One Tablespoon of Sesame Seeds =90mgs. Calcium 8oz. of whole milk = 300mgs
There are numerous sources of Calcium outside of dairy products. Sesame seeds are loaded; and used almost exclusively in the semi-arid Middle East where there are no grasslands for cows to graze. Tahini is made from sesame seeds.
Gomasio/Gomashio is a delicious garnish used over almost anything.
- Wash and dry roast sesame seeds in a heavy skillet such as cast iron
- Add 1 part Celtic Sea Salt for every 10-15 part seeds. OR, can substitute
- Kombu/Kelp Powder at 1 part for every 5-10 part seeds
- Constantly stir over medium heat until golden in color and beautifully scented
- Remove and grind in a traditional SuribachiI or can use a food processor
NOTE: This recipe is a matter of taste. Some will like a little less salt others perhaps a bit more. Keep working with it.