It is only within the last few years that the important role Vitamin D plays has been researched and recognized.
Here are some facts regarding “Vitamin D” which is actually a hormone as opposed to a vitamin.
* Vitamin D, also called Calciferol, is a fat-soluble vitamin which means it is found primarily in animal fat. Unlike other vitamins that must be obtained solely through supplements or diet, vitamin D is manufactured in the body when sunlight comes in contact with the skin. Vitamin D is vital for bone growth and repair, especially in children and the elderly.
* Calcium and phosphorous levels in the blood stream are maintained by vitamin D. Vitamin D assists in the absorption of these important nutrients during digestion. This role in calcium and phosphorous absorption makes vitamin D an important part of bone growth and maintenance; and liver and kidney health Vitamin D also contributes to the function on the thyroid gland and to the immune system.
* Vitamin D has historically been used to treat Low Blood Pressure as there appears to be a correlation between blood pressure and low blood calcium levels and Vitamin D is directly responsible for where calcium should be and should not be.
* Vitamin D is responsible for regulating over 800+ genes in the body!
* *It is a known fact that Vitamin D 25- Hydroxy levels lower than 15 will lead to many varieties of Cancer especially Colon Cancer
* *Vitamin D which naturally exists in milk is destroyed during the pasteurization process making it necessary to replace the naturally occurring Vitamin D that once was in the milk with synthetic Vitamin D
* The vast majority of the vitamin D used in the human body is manufactured in the skin. When vitamin D is consumed it is absorbed into the blood stream from the intestines with the help of bile. From the intestines Vitamin D is transported to the liver where it may be stored or used by the body. The daily Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of vitamin D is 400 IU for an average adult man/woman.
* Vitamin D is found in only a few food including fish liver oil, egg yolks, butter and cod liver oil. The body is also able to utilize synthetic forms of vitamin D which are found in supplements. Many foods including milk and cereals have added vitamin D to help individuals get sufficient amounts in their diet-but added Vitamin D is not the same as the real McCoy.
* Because vitamin D is stored in the body (in the liver), it can be toxic if taken in excess quantities. Vitamin D doses of three of four times the RDA may result in nausea, excessive thirst, confusion, heart rhythm abnormalities, weakness and headaches. Vitamin D is also known to interfere with certain medications including steroids and some seizure drugs.
Why suddenly is everyone Vitamin D deficient?
Actually it may not be a deficiency of Vitamin D but a deficiency of Vitamin F, Vitamin D’s antagonist. Vitamin D picks up calcium from the gut and puts it into the blood. Vitamin F takes it from the blood and puts it into the tissues.
What is Vitamin F?
* Vitamin F is a source of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids which are needed to transport calcium from the blood to the tissues.?
* It contains Linolenic and Linoleic Acids which the liver will convert to Arachidonic Acid. Arachidonic acid is the only form of polyunsaturated fat that can be utilized by the body.?
* It does not exist in vegetable oil—only in fat meat and butter—not margarine.?
* Because polyunsaturated fats reduce blood-cholesterol levels, they are much preferred over saturated fats.
Vitamin F Deficiency results in or plays a major role in the following conditions:
* Itchy Skin
* Canker Sores (Herpes)
* Ridged Nails
* Poor Hair Quality
* Dry Skin
* Muscle Cramps (“Charley Horse”
* Sun Poisoning
* Sun Sensitivity
* Heat Prostration
* Prostate Problems
D without F will cause the blood calcium level to increase at the expense of the tissue calcium level because Vitamin D not only picks up calcium from the gut in a deficiency of F, it brings calcium from the tissues back into the bloodstream and then targets the additional D to be stored by the Liver.
Excess Vitamin D from extreme sun exposure is known to cause Cancer BUT only in people who are Vitamin F deficient!!!
In my practice, I use very little Vitamin D but do use it when indicated.
What I do recommend more often are the following supplements if and when needed:
*Magnifical made by Logos Nutritional (1-800-556-5530) because it contains Strontium 90, Vitamin K2 and a small amount of Vitamin D
* Microcrystalline Calcium Hydroxyapatite Compound (MCHC) which is the only calcium proven in a court of law to REVERSE OSTEOPOROSIS!
* Vitamin F Tablets
* Parent Omega Oils which are plant based (not manufactured from dead fish)